Monday, October 13, 2008

Monday, October 13, 2008

Sun Update: No, I don't know what's going yet with the subscriptions, but I was able to access this puzzle via the "today" link on Will Johnston's Puzzle Pointers page (but not via the calendar, as I normally would). As of this writing, there was no new news at www.cruciverb.com, which is where we should be notified of the subscription process when it is in place. When I know more, I'll let you all know.

Title: Human Pretzels
Author: Ogden Porter (Peter Gordon)
Theme: Twister
  • 16a: Best Picture nominee of 1989 (MY LEFT FOOT).

  • 22a: 1973 Charlton Heston movie set in Manhattan in 2022 (SOYLENT GREEN).

  • 50a: Indispensable assistant (RIGHT HAND MAN).


  • 60a: Restaurant chain "for the seafood lover in you" (RED LOBSTER).

  • 36a: Game that's the theme of this puzzle (TWISTER).


That's kind of cute, I guess, though I must admit I was somewhat underwhelmed by it during the solve. Granted, it's one a.m., so that might have had something to do with it.

Stuff of note:
  • 15a: Fuzzy Wuzzy, for one (BEAR). Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was he?

  • 18a: Hub near Paris (ORLY). Just saw this a couple of days ago.

  • 20a: Pellet shooter (AIRGUN).

  • 25a: It can be overridden by Congress (VETO).

  • 28a: Dr. of G-funk (DRE).

  • 29a: Like Leif Ericson (NORSE).

  • 30a: Mercury, e.g. (PLANET). Also a metal, a liquid, a car, a Roman God, ...

  • 33a: "The ___ Incident" (1943 Henry Fonda film) (OXBOW). Was this remade? I don't recall ever seeing it, so why do I know the name?

  • 35a: With 32-Down, 74 inches tall (SIX / TWO).

  • 41a: Rod-shaped intestinal bacteria (ECOLI). Yuck.


  • 47a: Jack of "Barney Miller" (SOO).

  • 49a: Given the boot (AXED). People at my company have been AXED recently, so this one hits home a little too hard.

  • 54a: Ivy League city in New York (ITHACA). Home of Cornell.

  • 55a: In reality (DE FACTO).

  • 2d: Polident pitchwoman Martha (RAYE).

  • 3d: Creator of Perry and Della (ERLE). Perry Mason, Della Street, Erle Stanley Gardner.


  • 4d: Ralph Kramden portrayer (GLEASON).

  • 5d: Having a lot of pluck (GUTSY). I like pluck as a noun.

  • 12d: Adulteress in "The Scarlet Letter" (PRYNNE).


  • 17d: "Alice" waitress (FLO).

  • 26d: ___ Lilly (pharmaceutical giant) (ELI).

  • 27d: Part of VAT (TAX). Value added tax.

  • 31d: "Yadda, yadda, yadda": Abbr. (ETC ETC).

  • 37d: Ingrid's "Casablanca" role (ILSA).

  • 40d: Enter into an altared state? (WED). Very nice.

  • 43d: 108-card game (CANASTA).

  • 44d: People with convictions have them (PRIORS).

  • 45d: Word with test or paper (LITMUS).

  • 46d: Filled with horror (AGHAST).

  • 48d: Small quantity of stock shares (ODD LOT).

  • 51d: Women's room? (HAREM).


  • 52d: Speaks in Persian? (MEOWS). Cute.

  • 56d: Key letters (CTRL). Keyboard key.



Not much to say about this one, except that I thought it was really, really easy. Like NYT Monday easy, which isn't usually the case with the Sun puzzles. And I'm half in the bag, too. So, I'll just sprinkle some pictures here and there and call it a night.


Thanks for listening.

- Pete M.

3 comments:

Joon said...

i've never heard of the movie version of the OXBOW incident either, but i'm familiar with the novel. we had to read part of it in high school. i don't know why. anyway, i remember thinking it was a nineteenth-century novel, but it was written in 1940. i guess it just seemed that way because it's western-ish.

the HAREM clue surprised me.

agreed that it was definitely one of the easiest sun puzzles. i recently did a (much) tougher puzzle with the same theme...

Unknown said...

Pete,

In order to support the Sun subcription I have had to replace the entire cruciverb.com platform (long, technical story) so this has been about 20 times the amount of work I anticipated. All members and content have had to be imported into the new system, many scripts rewritten, etc. I was hoping to go live with the new site this morning but will need all of today to finish. I hope to flip the switch tonight.

Had I known that people other than Peter an I were expecting things to happen on a certain date I would have posted something. Instead, the existing cruciverb.com site is still there and the Sun link is where it always is ... in the Today's Puzzles box (although the link would not have become available until midnight).

Best,
Kevin (cruciverb.com)

Anonymous said...

12:30 a.m. Tuesday. Just subscribed to the new Sun regime. However, the Sun puzzles won't open. Never had a problem opening .puz files with AcrossLite before. I've informed Kevin by email.

Jim Finder