Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday, February 16, 2009

Title: All the Presidents' Best Actors and Actresses
Author: Ogden Porter (Peter Gordon)
Theme: Oscar winners who share last names with U.S. Presidents
  • 28a: Best Actress of 1960 and 1966 (ELIZABETH TAYLOR).

  • 35a: Best Actor of 1964 (REX HARRISON).

  • 57a: Best Actress of 1931 (HELEN HAYES).

  • 4d: Best Actress of 1970 and 1973 (GLENDA JACKSON).

  • 11d: Best Actor of 2001 (DENZEL WASHINGTON).


Breakin' the rules. Breakin' the rules. Here we have a 15x16 that is non-symmetrical with non-symmetrical theme answers. Did it bother you? Did it affect your enjoyment of the puzzle? This is one of those oft-debated issues among constructors. Are the rules of symmetry there for a reason, or are they just some snobbish clinging to an obscure set of rules for no apparent reason. I won't get into that too deeply here. Personally, I like the symmetry of crosswords. It pleases my mathematical sense of order. But I can honestly say I wasn't bothered by the lack of order during this fairly-easy Monday solve.

The rest is going to be quick, as I'm tired and want to go to bed.


Sundries:
  • 4a: Potential petter's discouragement (GRR). This feels weird to me, as it's the pettee that is doing the discouraging.

  • 17a: Like the Empire State Building (ART DECO).


  • 23a: Sound from the anteater in "B.C." (ZOT). Don't recall this one.

  • 24a: Broke (TAMED).

  • 42a: Mexican state on the Gulf of Tehuantepec (OAXACA).


  • 46a: Star-Belly and Plain-Belly Seuss creatures (SNEETCHES). Very nice.

  • 63a: Puts an end to (ERADICATES).

  • 65a: Vitality (ZING).


  • 3d: Woven mat of Japan (TATAMI).

  • 6d: Dad's product (ROOT BEER). I've been fooled by a Dad's clue before, so I was onto it this time. As I recall, it was "Dad's rival", which was AANDW (a nasty sequence of letters).

  • 9d: Be taught incorrectly (MISLEARN).

  • 31d: Missouri county (OSAGE).

  • 38d: Is in the lead by a little (HAS AN EDGE).

  • 46d: Former president of Indonesia (SUHARTO). I remember this from "The Year of Living Dangerously".


  • 47d: Rum ___ Tugger ("Cats" cat) (TUM).

  • 54d: Umenyiora of the New York Giants (OSI). Never saw the clue. Which is good, since I wouldn't have known this at all.

  • 56d: Tips of skis? (ESSES). Cryptic letter clue.



That's all for tonight.

Thanks for listening.

- Pete M.

No comments: