Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday, September 22, 2008

Title: How Does That Feel?
Author: Justin Smith
Theme: Tactile adjectives used in a non-tactile way.
  • 17a: Artificial intelligence topic (FUZZY LOGIC).

  • 27a: Unpaved edge of a road (SOFT SHOULDER).

  • 45a: Awkward situation (STICKY WICKET).

  • 60a: Relaxing music genre (SMOOTH JAZZ).


This theme didn't do much for me while I was solving, as it seemed like kind of an arbitrary set of adjectives. But in retrospect, I guess it's okay. The fact that the adjectives are being used in a different, non-tactile way adds that little extra that makes it hold together reasonably well for a Monday.


Sunny Spots:


  • 4d: Tornadic toon from Warner Bros. (TAZ). One of my favorite cartoon characters.

  • 5d: In ads, it's spelled R-O-L-A-I-D-S (RELIEF). Solid pop culture reference.

  • 11d: Hershey's offering in a yellow wrapper (MR GOODBAR). Mmmm... chocolate.


  • 47d: TV character who got notes signed "Epstein's Mother" (KOTTER). I used to love this show. I'm not sure what that says about me.

Sundries:
  • 10a: Interfraternity council prez, e.g. (BMOC). Big Man On Campus.

  • 14a: Shade by the beach? (AQUA). Almost too easy.

  • 15a: Castaway (EXILE).

  • 16a: Humor writer Bombeck (ERMA).

  • 20a: 5% of LX (III). This is the easiest Roman numeral math we've seen in a while.

  • 22a: Instructions starter (STEP ONE).

  • 24a: "You may relax, soldier" (AT EASE).

  • 37a: Icy coatings (HOARS).


  • 39a: Former NFL quarterbacks Stabler and O'Brien (KENS). You know I'm not good with first names, but this one was a no-brainer for me.

  • 43a: Like many replays (SLO-MO).

  • 48a: "The Truth About ___ Geller" (James Randi book) (URI). Name a Geller. And no, Sarah Michelle is spelled GELLAR.

  • 49a: Lubricant reservoir in a crankcase (OIL PAN).

  • 53a: Chiquita products (BANANAS).


  • 59a: '70s teen idol Garrett (LEIF). I'm pretty sure my sister had a poster of Leif along with Andy Gibb.

  • 64a: Pet problem? (PEEVE).

  • 2d: Declaration to one's boss (I QUIT).

  • 3d: ___ Kabloozie (character voiced by Ruth Buzzi in "Sesame Street" shorts) (SUZIE). I'm not sure if I knew this or whether it just made sense.

  • 6d: Nerve cell impulse transmitter (AXON).

  • 8d: Nutmeg State Ivy Leaguers (ELIS). Even if you don't remember that Connecticut is the Nutmeg State and that Yale is in Connecticut, you've seen this answer enough that "Ivy Leaguers" should have done it for you.

  • 10d: "C'mon, buddy, help me out" (BE A PAL).

  • 25d: Yard sale caveat (AS IS).

  • 29d: "Ditto" (SO AM I). Reminds me of the first minute and a half of this clip...


  • 30d: Ruinous damage (HAVOC). Havoc is a really cool word.

  • 36d: Opposed to organized labor (ANTI-UNION).

  • 41d: NEA part (NATL). I went with ARTS here at first, until I was 46d and realized it shouldn't be (you rarely see an answer word in another clue in a well-edited puzzle).

  • 43d: It's got you covered (SKIN). Cute.

  • 46d: Partner of arts (CRAFTS).

  • 50d: Instrument with 88 keys (PIANO). A total gimme, but I do love the piano.

  • 51d: Lumbermill tools (ADZES).

  • 54d: Like a sports car, briefly (AERO). Ummm. Okay. I guess. Kinda.

  • 55d: They're unarmed, but dangerous (ASPS). Bit of a stretch for a clue, but okay.

  • 56d: "Peter Pan" character (SMEE). A crossword staple.

  • 61d: "Reading the ___" (2008 book subtitled "One Man, One Year, 21,730 Pages") (OED). I need to get this book; it sounds fascinating. And no, I'm not being facetious; I really want to read it.


  • 62d: Triangular sail (JIB). Love sailing clues. Even easy ones.


Suns of Bitches:

  • 65a: Little ___ ("Hairspray" role) (INEZ). I'm sure I've seen this name before, but I needed the crossings to get it.

  • 40d: Journalist Nellie (BLY). Ditto.

  • 52d: Mozart's "Le ___ di Figaro" (NOZZE). Tough for a Monday, but a nice fill word.



This was a fairly Scrabbly puzzle for a Monday - in fact it's a pangram, using every letter at least once - and is a typical example of how Monday Sun puzzles differ from Monday Times puzzles. The Sun is almost never as easy as a NYT Monday, which is why it's a favorite among puzzle connoisseurs, and why it would be a crying shame for this puzzle to go the way of the dinosaur if the Sun should go under at the end of this month as it's threatening to do. Any wealthy puzzlers out there want to step in and invest in the Sun?

Thanks for listening.

- Pete M.

3 comments:

ArtLvr said...

Oh, dear -- I hadn't heard that the NY sun might close down. Very sad, and so close! Maybe we can the government to invest there too?

∑;(

Anonymous said...

If the Sun does set, Pete, will you be ending this blog or converting it to, say, one for the LAT? The blog name might need revision, though...

Pete M said...

@ruy: I don't know. I'd probably end the blog, but that's a decision I don't have to make right now. If it comes to pass, I'll sit down and figure out what to do.