Author: Mark Feldman
Theme: Phrases derived from bird parts.
- 18a: Keen observer (EAGLE EYE).
- 20a: Horripilation (GOOSE FLESH). Ick.
- 32a: Dark red sometimes called Spanish wine (PIGEON BLOOD). Double ick.
- 48a: Jimmy Buffett fan (PARROT HEAD).
- 50a: Certain carpentry joint (DOVE TAIL).
I'll be honest. I could have done without the flesh and blood fills. Give me goose neck and pigeon toed anyday.
- 52a: "Chico and the Man" costar Freddie (PRINZE). I loved this show growing up. Looking back on it now, I'm not exactly sure why.
- 35d: Big lug (PALOOKA). Great word.
- 15a: Yaz had 1,844 (RBIS). I've probably ranted about this before, because I have a real pet peeve against RBIS. The plural of RBI (run batted in) is RBI (runs batted in). One RBI, two RBI, 150 RBI. It's already plural. RBIS is bogus.
- 43a: They're cobbled together (SHOES). Kind of obvious, but sorta cute.
- 46a: Use a blowtorch on, perhaps (WELD).
- 47a: "High ___" (1952 Gary Cooper film) (NOON).
- 56a: Golf hole goal (PAR). Well, maybe. For really good golfers, par is not a great result. For people like me, bogey would be fine. Par is the "expected" result, but not necessarily the goal.
- 1d: Argue over a price (HAGGLE). Reminds me of one of the great scenes in "Monty Python's Life of Brian". Here it is:
- 6d: Grew crops without much water (DRY FARMED).
- 12d: Stall (BUY TIME).
- 13d: Hastened, with "up" (SPEEDED). Shouldn't this just be SPED?
- 19d: Actor Estevez and designer Pucci (EMILIOS). Plural names are always kind of a stretch.
- 21d: Dance that requires a bar (LIMBO).
- 31d: Suddenly reacts to a strong wind, as a window (FLIES OPEN).
- 32d: Holiday during which many bagel stores close (PASSOVER).
- 34d: Like some triples (STANDUP). Baseball clue. At first, I was thinking college dorm rooms, but even there you have room to lay down.
- 43d: Get cheeky with? (SPANK). Cute.
- 49d: Nonkosher (TREF). I learned this from puzzles.
Suns of Bitches:
- 11d: 11th-century French saint (THEOBALD). Yeah, okay.
Not too much to say about this one. It was okay, but it didn't thrill me.
Thanks for listening.
- Pete M.